Bartlett Arkell, the founder and first president of the Beech-Nut Packing Company built the original Canajoharie Gallery in 1927 based on galleries he had experienced in his travels to Europe. A major addition to the Canajoharie Library and Art Gallery was completed in 2007 through the generosity of the Arkell Hall Foundation. The new building designed by Ann Beha and DesignLAB Architects continues to be an inspiring building for exhibitions and programs.
Almost all of the paintings in the permanent collection were purchased by Bartlett Arkell for the people of Canajoharie. The American painting collection includes 21 works by Winslow Homer, and significant paintings by many distinguished artists including; George Inness, William M. Chase, Childe Hassam, Mary Cassatt, Georgia O’Keeffe, Robert Henri, and other members of The Eight. Permanent and changing exhibitions also feature selections from the museum’s Mohawk Valley History collection as well as the Beech-Nut archives of early twentieth-century advertising material.For information about works from the permanent collection that are currently on exhibition visit the current exhibitions page.